I’ve been eyeing this one for some time now. As a poetry competiton poetry, primarily, though my interest in it began with short fiction and with prose. Here are the guidelines for entry (sorry — they call them rules):
- You’re 18 or older
- The piece is your own work
- The piece hasn’t ever been published anywhere, not even on a website
- You have to be alive
- £6 per entry
- You have to write in English
- (Some formatting stuff — not really important here)
- £5000 first prize (!!), £1000 second prize, £500 third prize, 10 £50 runners-up
So here’s the thing. Is it worth it? Because in my case I’d have to write something entirely from scratch and to workshop it after the competition’s been judged. I have nothing current that hasn’t appeared somewhere online, even in its roughest form — and that wouldn’t be considered “published” enough to violate the rules of this competition.
How prestigious is the Bridport Prize? Brits? Anybody?
Though £5000 is certainly not sneezable. £500’s hardly sneezable. I don’t know. Help.